Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Days 2 & 3

Beloved confidantes,


The hour is late so I must be but brief: what an exciting two days! The young Miss W and myself have been running around like mad trying to see everything we should, yet still I feel as if we shall never even scratch the surface of London at this rate. Such an enchanting city! Every which way we turn there is something new (albeit something rather old) to take in: astonishing heights of architectural beauty, quaint lanes of houses all jammed close together.


Dear Diana and I took a stroll through Green Park early yesterday, and would you believe it? There were pink--and green and spotted and striped and patterned--elephants on parade! No, sillies, not real ones: a charity fundraiser to benefit the conservation of the Asian elephant. On the other end of the park, we stood by in alternating rain and shine while the Queen's guards changed shifts (and outfits) outside Buckingham Palace. Ultimately, it was rather underwhelming. Indeed, it seemed an awful lot of fuss for nothing.


Later that day, aboard a two-storey motor vehicle, we raced through the crowded streets--all 'round Trafalgar Square, down Pall Mall, along Hyde Park, up Downing Street, over Tower Bridge. We let out at the Tower of London to explore that scene of grisly history, where many (including Anne Boleyn) were executed, and where some (two young princes) just disappeared. The so-called Bloody Tower is not so bloody as one might expect, although I imagine I might be somewhat less inclined to visit it after dark. A major draw for me, as one might guess, were the Tower Ravens. Superstition holds that should the ravens ever leave the Tower, the monarchy and indeed, the entire kingdom shall fall.


I think I should like a pet raven very much.


Life at Dron House (for that is what this stately home where my sweet sister and I are staying is called) has been lovely. The Davises have been ever so accommodating. Mrs. Davis is always ready with a cup of tea prepared just how I take it--milk and sugar of course! And Mr. Davis is quite charming. The two bicker playfully in the most English way--it is simply delightful. They were kind enough to include us in Mr. Davis's birthday dinner last evening.


Today, my sister and I got a somewhat later start than usual, and took the underground transportation into the heart of London with the intention of setting off for the Museum of Natural History. While it ended up taking longer to reach our destination than I had initially planned, we took several enjoyable detours--to Harrods, to lunch--before passing through the museum's doors. What a truly grand old place. Their specimen collection was most impressive, and the gift shop--oh! the gift shop.


Following several well-spent hours at the museum, we sisters set off again for Leicester Square to inquire after tickets for a show, but eventually decided to spend the early evening in and out of the shops of Covent Garden. I purchased a most elegant pair of boots--now I feel as if I really belong here. We dined at flavourful Indian establishment before heading back to Dron House, where we passed the evening in planning the next stages of our English Adventure.


Well, alas. So much for brevity. I must to bed!


Yours,
A


Dron House

Elephants on parade in Green Park

Miss W stands in front of the Buckingham Palace gates

Guard

Westminster Abbey

A ghost!

The Tower of London is filled with such helpful signs.

Tower Ravens

Natural History Museum

Me and my pal Charlie

2 comments:

  1. Your blog sort of has a gossip girl feel when you sign it with "A." I like to think of it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoyed The Tube. I wish you had some photos of you & Miss W as 2 gerbils in The Tube...

    ReplyDelete