Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 15

Monday the Twenty-first of June, Two Thousand Ten


Hello again readers,

Today we arrived in Banbury early in the morning. We are staying with Zoe’s brother Leigh and his wife Becky in their converted farmhouse out in the country. Becky and baby Tom greeted us at the station. A short distance through narrow country roads and past signs indicating the presence of toads and we had arrived. Brown dog, tail a-wagging, met us gaily in the courtyard. After we had partaken of a rejuvenating cup of tea, Becky drove us into the town of Warwick nearby. Warwick is quaint: timber-framed houses line the streets, and a great big castle watches over the town impressively. My sister and I strolled through town until we grew hungry, then sat down at a café on Market Street for scrumptious soup.

Apparently, my sister and I ushered in the good weather, because the sun beat down on us as we explored. Aside from the castle, Warwick also has the historic Lord Leycester Hospital to offer, as well as an old gaol and several large stone gates at the various ends of town. There is also a street called "The Butts." My sister and I are not quite so old as to no longer find this humorous. At one point we heard a peacock, which was somewhat out of the ordinary. After wandering in and out of antique shops for several hours, we proceeded back to town centre, where Leigh picked us up to take us home. 

Back at the house, Leigh gave us the grand tour. Evidently, they are remodeling the house not to live in it but to sell it and find another to then remodel. They have already done not an insignificant amount of work and to me, the thought of moving seems slightly mad, but such is their will. If I thought my uncle's house was close to a church and cemetery, I was gravely mistaken: the cemetery was quite literally just outside of the room in which I was to sleep. Given the option of one of two rooms, I did not think my sister could have slept through the night in the adjacent room, so I let her have the one across the hall. Our tour was nearly complete when we were interrupted by the other two members of the househoud--Sam and Connie. Connie invited us to come play with her and so went the remainder of the afternoon. When the children caught sight of my camera, a game of photographers began--with costumes, backdrops and everything! Diana and I were directed into some truly ridiculous poses. 

Once the children were off to bed (which sounds much simpler than it was--between the baby shrieking and Sam and Connie making up excuses why they weren't asleep yet, it's amazing we ever got round to dinner) we sat down to lovely goat cheese tarts. As the sky began to darken, I waited for the bats Leigh said would soon fly overhead while Becky's father, an experienced sailor, taught me about neap tides, how to tell a waxing from a waning moon, and navigating by the stars. Though I only saw two bats outside, shortly thereafter, Leigh and Becky called me upstairs: a bat was flying wildly around their bedroom.

Tired as I am, my bed, next to the window overlooking the cemetery, looks so very inviting.

Regards,
A





Bing

Connie


Tom

Sam

Note my knight getup.

The best pose.


A room with a view.

No comments:

Post a Comment