Saturday, June 26, 2010

Day 20

Saturday the Twenty-Sixth of June, Two Thousand Ten
Good evening, my far away friends and family,

My sister and I did not, as I last forecasted, visit the station that bears our family name this morning. We did, however, meet with my friend Sophie, with whom I became acquainted in Honduras two years ago while assisting with biodiversity surveys in the cloud forest there. At ten past ten, we three assembled outside King's Cross Station. It is an odd thing, only having known someone in the jungle--for we both look (and, I imagine, smell) better now than we did then, made down and unwashed as we were. Sophie does not live in London, so she rode the railway to meet me. How very kind indeed!

We were all craving breakfast so we strolled around the corner to a café for some scrambled eggs on toast. It was lovely to catch up with Sophie, who is currently working before she returns to school in the fall to pursue environmental studies and international development. Over the course of conversation, the subject of frozen yogurt arose (as it is wont to do) and we determined that several establishments serving said frosty delicacy were to be found in nearby Covent Garden. Sophie, who had never had frozen yogurt (or "yoghurt"), led the way—a hop, skip and a jump on the Tube, then through the bustling Covent Garden marketplace to Yu-foria. The yogurt there was absolutely delectable and the décor was delightful.

After several hours of pleasant conversation and reminiscing, it was time for Sophie to return home. My sister and I then commenced to meander through the market, pushing past hordes of people milling in amongst the stalls. The air was filled with a multitude of smells from the international cuisines being presented to shoppers. Apparently, Covent Garden on a Saturday afternoon was the place to be. We stopped for a teatime meal of gyoza, and rested our tired feet at the restaurant. Refreshed, we wandered back to the Market, where a street performer was contorting herself. We joined the crowd sitting on the cobblestones surrounding her, and watched.

Once the shops began to close, we set off in search of the Italian restaurant we had glimpsed earlier. Its green chairs were the landmark, but we could not remember quite where we had seen it, and so our quest began. By the time we found it, we were more than famished enough for our meal.

Back at our dorm, I introduced my sister to one of my favourite television programs, which I believe she heartily enjoyed. We are both exhausted, though, and hopefully before long, we shall both be fast asleep.

Tomorrow is our last full day in England, for we leave Monday afternoon. Some of you I will be seeing again soon; others, perhaps not quite so soon as one might hope. But I hope you have enjoyed following along in our adventures, as we have enjoyed having them.

As ever--yours,
A

Sophie and me, eating frozen yogurt.

Sophie, Kim, and me in the jungle two years ago, wishing we were eating frozen yogurt.

Yu-foria's mission statement.

Art with a message.

X-ray Mini.

Crowded.


Street performer.

About to take a bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment