Saturday, April 3, 2010

Oh, rare Ben Jonson...


This is a continuation/re-imagining of my last comic. Credit for this idea comes entirely from my friend Melissa, who sits next to me in Renaissance Lit class. When I asked if she'd ever noticed Darth Vader-girl, her response was this: 
"yessssssssssss!!!!!!! i often imagined it was good ol'BJ behind me, out of breath because he's so round, like a circle."
I just liked this mental image, of "ol' BJ" hovering behind us--wheezing--so much I had to draw it.

Ben Jonson, in case you don't know, was a Renaissance poet whose most frequently-used imagery was that of the circle, a shape he felt encompassed, among other things, his own rotundity. He also apparently liked to think of himself as a partridge for reasons that remain somewhat unclear, although in the words of my professor: "he's round, can't really fly, and is easy to shoot." Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment