Saturday, December 5, 2009

Happy Sinterklaas!!!!



I just found this is my shoe, attached to a box of chocolates. For those of you who don't know, Sinterklaas is the celebration of the name day of St. Nicholas, patron saint of children (and more!). In Holland, Sinterklaas leaves presents in children's shoes on the eve of December 5 for the children to unwrap when they wake up the next day. Black Pete (pictured above) is Sinterklaas' unfortunately black-faced assistant.

Katie, who wishes she were Dutch, has decided to embrace this holiday by wearing her Netherlands jersey all day, and by gifting me and Hal our very own Sinterklaas presents. Thanks Katie!

6 comments:

  1. For those of you who don't know (meaning all of you) the photo is actually Sergio Ramos, the hot mulleted Real Madrid and La Furia Roja defender.

    Happy Sinterklaasavond (Sinterklaas Eve) everyone! Damn, I'm so Dutch. I'm expecting my passport any day in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful holiday! I love Sinterklaas!!!
    Katie, do you know any traditional Sinterklaas songs? I think you should learn some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought there were six to eight of them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that you should say that, Lexy.

    There was originally only one Black Pete (or Zwarte Piet, for Dutch people like me), but when Canadians organized the post-WWII Sinterklaas parade, they put in multiple "Pieten." Since then, Sint-Nicolaas has been accompanied by multiple Black Petes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. also, the best part of the story, when you're bad, instead of getting coal in your shoes, Sinterklaas just picks you up, throws you in a sack, and brings you back to Spain with him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I begged him to take me back to Spain. I wonder what happens once you're there? In my version, you get to frolic with the Spanish National Football Team. Or, as ESPN magazine calls them, the "Beefcake Brigade." Yes please.

    ReplyDelete